Thursday 5 January 2012

Week 5 and a bit - Happy New Back!

Well a Happy New Year to you, and a happy new back to me.

This time last year my back had relapsed again just before a mercy trip to pick up my mother from the hospital. Not a good memory.

I think the best way of dealing with bad memories is to crowd them out with good ones. Now that's what I call a decent new year's resolution. It's taken me 48 years to come up with a sensible one. Things are clearly looking up!

2012 has a nice ring to it doesn't it? Or maybe 5 nice rings interlocked in a geometric design. Yes there's going to be no avoiding the Olympics this year. I wonder if it's too late to make a last ditch bid to be on the team? Probably. But at least this time round I will be able to jump up off the sofa and cheer on another famous British gold medal victory without worrying about putting my back out. There was something inherently depressing about having to be careful about the way that you celebrate. But hey, that's all behind me.

Either way I like the sound of years ending in an even number, odd ones sound...well odd.

But they say that the world is going to end in 2012, on the 21st December to be precise. I'm not sure exactly what time on the 21st, so don't sue me if you happen to be having a poo at the time. That's really not a good way to go, unless you're an Elvis fan I guess.

The whole premise for the world apparently ending on this particular Friday...whoa there did you say Friday! Err yes. How can the world possible end on the best day of the week? That would be a cruel, cruel joke...and we certainly won't be thanking God for that Friday if it happens that's for sure...

Anyway the premise originates from the ancient Mayan civilisation and their 5,125 year long calendar which apparently stops on December 21st 2012. Maybe they just ran out of pictures of busty ladies to fill the pages of their calendar, who knows.

But if the Mayans were so damn good at predicting things surely they'd have seen their downfall coming wouldn't they? Ha! You can't argue with that kind of fatuous logic.

So anyway do I think the world is going to end? No of course not. Do you think I would have put myself through ADR surgery and then have the prospect of spending months working hard on my rehabilitation to get back to decent fitness, only to be wiped out in a moment of apocolyptic madness? I think not.




Can't be too careful though.

So here we are 5 weeks in. The big step forward this week was heading back to work. I've been advised to start part time and see how it goes so I'm doing mornings at first. You would have thought that going back to work would be a reason to be depressed but I felt positively uplifted as I walked through the door. Luckily our receptionist Jackie hadn't forgotten me. Good start! I was knackered by the end of the day though, but it felt good to be using my brain again. Little steps, but they are all in the right direction.

I've got physio today and I'm going to ask her whether I can start using a stationary bike. For the first time  ever I've been developing a bit of a waistline. Its not something I've had to worry about before - yes I know, I'm a lucky bastard! - and its a little perturbing. I feel like I need to start getting my heart rate up. Walking is fine but I'm not sure how many calories its burning. Still I must be making good progress if the most I have to worry about is the size of my tum.

So here's wishing you all a great year ahead. I hope it will be as momentous as mine.

New year, new back. Bring it on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment